So as promised I have created a step by step illustrated guide of my latest barbecuing endeavor. This weekend I grilled a half-pork shoulder to make pulled pork samwhich North Carolina style (vinegar based barbecue). It took four hours of patience but the end result was well worth it.
First up is making the rub, washing the meat off, and allowing the rub to sit on the meat. This piece of meat is 8 LBS. After this I started the grill with a chimney starter and started to soak the hickory wood chips that I would need to put on top of the white hot coals. This piece of meat needed low and slow cooking so I used very few coals. You know things are going well when you see smoke poring out the top of the grill. It's also important to set the grill up for indirect heat so that you have an area which isn't directly over the flame (this is where the meat goes). 

The drip pan is also important because it catches the fat and juice that drips off of the roast. One word to the wise, don't drop white hot coals in this pan when stuff is in there or else you have flames 3 feet high, this is from the voice of experience.

1 comment:
Christine! What a great idea! Please post more grilling you do -- you should include some receipes too! Thanks for the info! Also, thanks for the great grilling at my house! I'm still savoring the last few bits of that pork tenderloin!
Post a Comment