Friday, February 16, 2007

Holding Pattern

One time I was on a flight when our plane had to circle around in the air for 40 minutes before we could land. I remember becoming very frustrated because this delay was decreasing the chances of me making my connection. Sure enough when the plane finally landed we had missed our connection and the first class seat I had going to Paris, France was gone. The airline booked my family and I on the flight the next morning but I was upset because we lost one day off our trip, a day that was to include spending lots of time on the D-Day beaches of Normandy. I could see no reason for the lost day, we were just circling around in the air, there was absolutely no reason for this to happen.

We finally did make it to France and the most amazing thing happened, we met two men who were veterans of the D-Day invasion, who had fought on the very land we were standing. These men proceeded to show us around these little villages in France and told us stories that can't be found in the history books. One of the men was a paratrooper who showed us around the town that he helped to capture from the Germans. It was amazing and if we would have caught the connecting flight to France I would have missed it all.

Now I find myself in another holding pattern in my life, the job hunt. I've sent in my applications, I've talked to mentors in my field, I get conflicting opinions from all around. I don't know whether to go to school, get a job, or some combination of both. It's just a big frustrating mess. I keep asking God to give me some clear direction of what I'm supposed to do but all I feel like I'm doing is going around in circles without landing. I can't land a job and I keep missing the application deadlines for school programs.

What I keep telling myself is that I can't see what will result from this holding pattern. This mentality doesn't always work but hopefully Divine Providence will allow me to land soon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your analogy. It was good talking to you last night! Love your blog!! :) -em